Towards inclusive media literacy
The instructional principles for inclusive media literacy help media educators in different fields to reflect and find ways to improve their own practice. Below you will find a PDF and a video series for your convenience.
- Find out the guidelines and plan activities accordingly;
- Reflect on your own activities, attitudes, competences, and development needs;
- Review your resources and plan your media education within them;
- Cooperate where possible;
- Use content and materials that support equality;
- Implement media education in a participatory and context-oriented manner;
- Increase participation in all phases of the operation;
- Take care of accessibility;
- Create a safer space to learn and act; and
- Be ready to adjust according to the situation.
The PDF explains the principles from the perspective of media education practices, material production and communication, and offers practical tips to support their implementation. The material has also been published in Swedish and Finnish.
The video series presents all the instructional principles and provides case studies and best practices on how to implement them.
The material is lincenced under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence. Please feel free to adapt the instructional principles and their content to suit your own work. For more information contact Ella Airola, firstname.lastname@example.org, Project Manager, National Audiovisual Institute.